It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:13 pm

Rec0n's EXO

Rec0n's EXO

Postby Rec0n » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:40 pm

I have been wanting one of these for a while now and I finally scored a ripper deal on an eBay kit version. The guy had built it ( a little roughly, but not too bad), fitted a YR 3300kv brushless and speedy combo into it and a servo. Anyway, got it for a fraction less than the kit purchase, with all the running gear; and GT3B Rx and Tx, and LiPo, and charger....anyway - a good deal all round.

He did a crap job on the painting which is a bit of a bummer, but it runs (fast!) and after a few tweaks, is a great little machine.

IMG_1932.jpg

I have stripped the diffs down and rebuilt them, fitted a correct bearing in the front diff which explained the freeplay...loosened off the steering joints so they actually move, mounted the front shocks the right way around, fitted the correct shocker shaft to the correct shock body (like I said - he was a little rough and careless)

IMG_1938.jpg

I fitted up some spare LEDs to the light bar, re-soldered the Rx antenna that was crushed and broken in the transmitter box, and now she is a great runner.

I'm glad I decided to strip it down a fair bit and re-do the assembly. Huge difference!

Now I need to just strip the paint off the body, put up with it as it is or find something like pozzie's body solution to make it all mine.

I don't think I would ever buy a pre-built anything ever again tbh, but this is completely RTR now after some mods for less than a shipped kit.

Happy with that....now I just want to take it for a spin!!
Last edited by Rec0n on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axial SCX10 Dingo TT Crawler - 27t brushy
Axial EXO Terra - 3300kv B/L
Rec0n
Spare Tyre

Re: Rec0n's EXO

Postby Rec0n » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:02 pm

OK, spin - taken.

Damn this thing is quick! They handle rough terrain and grassy areas perfectly!! Very impressed. Now to maybe swap my better ESC into is from the drift car to allow me some better adjustments to the drag brake etc.

Cant wait to take it onto a dirt track now! Knox, here I come...
Rec0n
Spare Tyre

Rec0n's EXO

Postby pozman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:37 am

Nice pick up mate. It's amazing what you'll find when a nugget builds these things.

You thinking if going a bug body as well? I love my bettle!!!

The go pretty good. Not as good as the slash apparently but I'll deal

Sent from my iFruit 5 using Tapatalk
Pozitive Engineering

2013 K.O.P!!
pozman
Pozitive Engineering

Postby Rec0n » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 am

I just ordered a few replacement screws (stripped out heads - pet hate), a new front shocker mount and cage piece that the shocks mount to (spares..) and some Axial alloy shocks for it.

I would love to do the Baja pozzie. Yours looks fantastic - the colour and the styling really suit this chassis. I want to try to strip the paint off the old body parts first. I tried a long soak in a brake fluid bath, but it looks like the nugget chose well with his paints at least and it is proving to be pretty resilient. A mate has a water blaster - like a bead blaster, but it is pulsed water instead. He uses it for reconditioning starter motors and alternator bodies....makes them look new again. I think the pressure is adjustable so I can strip the paint before it punches through the body!

If that works, I will try my own colour choice first, but if it fails, I will be wanting to try the Bug. Where did you pick that up mate?

Also, not sure about the Slash in comparison, but I am really impressed with the stability of this at speed. I would love to get a slower servo for the steering to take out the erratic corrections, but other than that it seems great.

:)
Rec0n
Spare Tyre

Postby pozman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:05 am

Yeah cool. The body is a proline slash baja one. They need to be cut a bit and look shit pre cut but work so well with it. I got it off eBay USA

Sent from my iFruit 5 using Tapatalk
Pozitive Engineering

2013 K.O.P!!
pozman
Pozitive Engineering

Postby Rec0n » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:02 am

Cheers for that pozzie. I will be looking into this one for sure
Rec0n
Spare Tyre

Postby Rec0n » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:11 am

I like the way you extended the front bar/plate pozzie, so I made up some links for mine already. It has 3mm SS rod which should give on impact if required but it gives it a better ramp effect so it might slide over stuff better than the flat front.

Looking through all my spares I can see a lot of tweaks that can be done too. :)

I will use the stock body for starters, but that Baja really has me thinking. RCGarage have these bodies in stock, so I might just grab one, trim it and ponder the best colour to paint it for a while. When I can control the thing better I will have a crack at the new body I reckon.

Pozzies' colour looks awesome so he has raised the bar a bit there....gotta think of a stunner idea!! :???:
Rec0n
Spare Tyre

Postby Murph » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Do want one of these.. Need to thin out the herd a bit first though.
Murph
Spare Tyre

Return to Short course trucks